[mythtv-users] Zero Byte Recordings

Andrew Potter andrew at potter.id.au
Tue Sep 16 20:41:40 UTC 2014

From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Andrew Potter
Sent: Monday, 15 September 2014 11:45 PM
To: 'Discussion about MythTV'
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Zero Byte Recordings

From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of David Watkins
Sent: Monday, 15 September 2014 11:31 PM
To: Discussion about MythTV

On 15 September 2014 14:03, Andrew Potter <andrew at potter.id.au> wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Mark Perkins
Sent: Monday, 15 September 2014 10:26 PM
To: Discussion about MythTV

Have you tried going to LiveTV then manually changing to one of your
recording tuners (press m, source, switch input, then select tuner 1). Then
check each channel one at a time (channel up / down) and check that you can
see all these channels with LiveTV and your recording tuners (as opposed to
your LiveTV tuner which is the least likely to get used for recordings).

What region are you in? Have you gone to http://retune.digitalready.gov.au
to check whether you are affected by the channel restack? I don't suppose
you are eastern South Australia or maybe Murrumbidgee / Upper Murray given
your channel numbering, there have been various changes scheduled around
June / July / August which might align with your problems? You might need to
rescan to pick up changes in frequencies.

I'm just guessing here.
____________________________

Mark,

Thanks for replying.

OK tried changing the channels as you suggested and I thought you had nailed
it. I was unable try to access the back-end setup and fix it right away as
some waf recordings are happening (that are working). They are not scheduled
to finish for an hour or two.

There is one recording that is currently showing as zero bytes (still
showing as recording though) using tuner number 1. I changed the current
input to that adapter and there was nothing visible, just a black screen. As
it was recording it would not allow me to change the channel. So I stopped
the recording (it wasn't working anyway). Then retuned to that tuner. It
started on abc and was displaying a picture correctly. Changed to all the
other channels also, i.e. Prime, Win and Southern Cross. All displayed
picture and audio fine, so now I am baffled. It appears that the tuner
sometimes does not tune correctly.

I think I need to read up on unloading the tuners before shutting down to
try and get away from the warm start issues.

I'm assuming your source is DVB-T?

There were some adjustable tuning delay parameters in the card setup section
of mythtv-setup which I had to increase a while ago to get reliable
recordings from one of my DVB cards, though I can't remember if the symptom
was zero-byte recordings or just failed recordings.

It's possible that when your box is cooler the cards take longer to get a
lock? It's a pure guess - but it wouldn't do any harm to tweak the defaults
up a bit.

(WARNING. I'm not running the latest MythTV version - these settings may
have disappeared now)

David ,

YES DVB-T.

Will check those tomorrow.

Andrew

The zero byte recordings have now disappeared.

I updated the bios on the motherboard and now when I shutdown the Tuners are
no longer receiving power, so coming up from a cold state rather than warm.
Big problem with this is now the Wake On LAN no longer works.

I also changed the tuning delays so not 100 % sure on which change fixed it.
Am pretty sure it is the power issue though.

Will changed the EUP setting to keep the tuners in warm state and if zero
byte recording come back I will then be certain.

Does any body have a method of forcing these tuners to appear to be cold
booted? I mean can they be removed and reinstalled using a modprobe or
something similar that will make them work when warm booted?

Andrew