[mythtv-users] HDMI Audio Options

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Tue Sep 16 19:01:36 UTC 2014

On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 11:22 AM, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hoi jmk,
>
> Tuesday, September 16, 2014, 5:03:26 PM, you wrote:
>
> > Hi,
>
> > I have an older machine (Asus M2NPV-VM mainboard with integrated
> > GeForce6) that I'm planning to connect a LCD TV. My hope is that I can
> > do this with a single HDMI cable, no external speakers, etc.
> > Unfortunately, I've struck out with my first couple of attempts:
>
> - DVI->>HDMI (with audio). It sounds like some DVI ports will pass
> > through audio. However, testing the various sound options within Myth,
> > I'm only getting output from the headphone jack on the computer. Is
> > there a definitive method to determine if the card supports this? I
> > assume the GeForce6 is just too old.
>
> - DVI->>HDMI + RCA. The TV has both HDMI and component inputs. It doesn't
> > seem to allow video over HDMI and audio over the RCA connections
> > though.
>
> > - New discrete video card. I assume this is my best option at this
> > point. Do most nVidia cards with HDMI support audio? Do I need to find
> > one with an onboard connector to hookup to the mainboard's SPDIF output?
> > Any known working options that are relatively cheap ($30ish)?
>
> > Thanks,
> > Joe
>
> Check if there is a hdmi audio device. If not there is nothing to
> pass-through!

Not true... most video cards that allowed audio over DVI did so by
providing a header on the card to connect your soundcard card or
motherboard's SPDIF header to.  They did not include a sound device of
their own.  For example:
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-convert-an-Nvidia-Video-card-DVI-output-to-/?ALLSTEPS

You would need to check to see if your video card provided an audio
passthough or not, and if you had an SPDIF header on your sound card or
mobo.