[mythtv-users] Problem with storage directory on 2nd HDD

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 15:05:45 UTC 2014

Hoi Jonno,

> On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 11:49 PM, Mark Perkins <perkins1724 at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  What is your storage group disk scheduler set to?
>
>  Have you tried just putting that one directory (on the second
> drive) as the only LiveTV storage directory and tried viewing
> LiveTV? Check backend log file while doing so to see what it says.
>

> I haven't had time to look up what the disk scheduler is (it's been
> a few years since I messed with anything mythtv related).

> I looked at the backend log and when it tries to open a file in
> /media/jonno/recordings there is a Permission Denied (13).

> Here is some information that will hopefully be useful.

> The system logs in with the User = jonno.
> $id jonno
> uid = 1000(jonno) gid = 124(mythtv) .......

> From top I notice that:
> mythfrontend.re user = jonno
> mythbackend user = mythtv

> I have the disk set to mount with the following in /etc/fstab:
> /dev/sdb1    /media/jonno/recordings    ext4    defaults    0    1

> While mounted I get:

> $ls -l /media/jonno/recordings
> drwxrwxrwx 2 mythtv mythtv 16384 Sep 15 22:06 lost+found

> $ls -l /media/jonno
> drwxrwxr-x 2 mythtv mythtv 4096 Sep 15 23:09 recordings

> If I umount /dev/sdb1 I get:

> $ls -l /media/jonno/recordings
> total 0

> $ls -l /media/jonno
> total 4
> drwxrwxr-x 2 mythtv mythtv 4096 Sep 15 22:09 recordings

> Everything seems ok to me but clearly not. What else would be useful?

To start a few remarks:
- lost+found should be owned by root.root with rights 700
- You shouldn't record directly in the root of the volume. This way
  when for whatever reason the volume isn't mounted it will record on
  your root system.
- mythtv will only give write rights on recordings to the recording
  user.

Then one thing I don't see is the rights on media. Are there
passthrough rights (o=rx or g=rx if the user is member of the group)

Further I don't see anything amiss.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven