[mythtv-users] MythTV Install

Richard Brook byronf16 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 14:49:45 UTC 2014

On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 1:00 AM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 11:57 AM, Richard Brook <byronf16 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Sep 15, 2014 6:49 PM, "Jean-Yves Avenard" <jyavenard at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi

> desktop.

> LiveTv or
> YouTube,
> other
> >>

> >> Then don't use xfce or mythbuntu
> >>
> >> That's what Nick was referring to. If you want a desktop that can also
> run
> >> mythtv, then using xfce is clearly not the best choice.
> >>
> >> You can of course start from mythbuntu default install and add some
> more.
> >>
> >> But don't complain that mythbuntu doesn't come with some widgets when it
> >> clearly wasn't designed to do that.
> >
> > I am not complaining. As I stated before, all I wanted to do was get
> MythTv
> > running under Ubuntu 14.04, like I have in past versions of Ubuntu and
> > MythTv. When I ran into trouble installing MythTv, under Ubuntu 14.04, I
> > came to this forum and was advised to install Mythbuntu and then
> configure
> > the Desktop the way I wanted. This is the first time I heard that
> Mythbuntu
> > was not designed to have a Desktop that functions like the one in Ubuntu.
> > There is even a setting, in the Applications menu, that let me install
> > Ubuntu Desktop.
> >
> > I just assumed that the Mythbuntu 14.04 iso file I downloaded and
> installed
> > was just Ubuntu with MythTv added.
> >
> > I never heard of XFCE before installing Mythbuntu, so I did not know it
> had
> > limitations that Unity and Gnome did not.
> >
> > I am just trying to learn here, not stir up resentment.
>
> Have you tried clicking the panel and seeing if you can add an audio
> gizmo? (gizmo being a completely unscientific word I know).

I did many Google searches on the subject. When I right click on the panel,
and click the menu that gives me choices of items to add, audio is not one
of them. I did, however, find a discussion on how to install an xfce volume
indicator. This just adds a volume slider to the panel.There are no other
sound settings. I sometimes use Skype and need to easily switch to my
wireless headset and microphone, for example.

--
Rich Brook