[mythtv-users] MythTV Install

Thomas Mashos thomas at mashos.com
Mon Sep 15 23:31:45 UTC 2014

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 3:49 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Tuesday, September 16, 2014, Richard Brook <byronf16 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> > Why?? This is an appliance, youaren't supposed ot ever see the desktop.
>>
>> MythTv may be an appliance to you, but to me it is an application that I
>> use to watch LiveTV and record programming. When I am not watching LiveTv or
>> recordings, I use a web browser to access Internet sites such as YouTube,
>> Netflix, Hulu Plus, etc., read email, play music, watch DVD's, and other
>> such things that utilize audio.
>

> Then don't use xfce or mythbuntu
>
> That's what Nick was referring to. If you want a desktop that can also run
> mythtv, then using xfce is clearly not the best choice.
>
> You can of course start from mythbuntu default install and add some more.
>
> But don't complain that mythbuntu doesn't come with some widgets when it
> clearly wasn't designed to do that.

I'll add to that that XFCE is fine as a desktop, but JYA is correct in
that we don't ship everything in Mythbuntu. You can install the
correct bits on a Mythbuntu install or install MythTV on a Xubuntu or
Ubuntu (or any other flavor) install. I didn't see the other thread,
so I'm not sure what issues OP was having.

Thanks,

Thomas Mashos