[mythtv-users] Duplicate Channels Cleanup

Martin Compton martinc at itrans.com
Mon Sep 15 17:14:22 UTC 2014

On 09/15/2014 10:58 AM, Joseph Fry wrote:

>         I was cleaning up my DISH-TV Schedules Direct listings and ran
>         mythfilldatabase to update the channels.
>
>         When I was checking the channels table I noticed that some
>         have 2-3 duplicate entries for the same
>         sourceid+channel+callsign+xmltvid (etc).
>
>         Can I safely reassign the chanid in the associated tables:
>         channelgroup
>         program (these duplicates can be deleted)
>         programgenres
>         programrating
>         record
>         recorded
>         oldrecorded
>
>         and remove the duplicate channels?
>
>         Am I missing any tables with a "chanid" column?
>

>     The proper way to handle "ghost" channels (as you get when you
>     don't properly set the XMLTV ID on channels before running
>     mythfilldatabase and your broadcasters provide in-stream
>     information about the channel that mythfilldatabase can't match to
>     one of your scanned channels) is to "Delete all video sources" (to
>     clear out everything--both the good and the bad channel info--from
>     all the tables that are affected) and then rescan, set the XMLTV
>     ID's, then run mythfilldatabase.  Then again, if you mean that
>     you're using Dish Network as a source of video, you're not
>     scanning, so you may have duplicates from when they renumbered
>     their channels and you didn't update properly (by either manually
>     editing the XMLTV ID, name, and call sign of the changed channels
>     or by "Delete all video sources" and re-fetching).  If you are
>     using a non-scannable video source, "Delete all video sources" and
>     then re-fetch channels from listings provider.
>

> That may be a bit of a bazooka-to-a-knife-fight solution.  I would
> first open MythWeb's settings page and delete the duplicates from the
> channel table there.  Run mythfilldatabase and see if they come back.
Michael: no scanning, all data direct.  No manual modifications until
after mythfilldatabase updated the channels in unexpected ways
(deletion, and reassigning channum, having the effect of deleting the
channel, even though it is in the SD lineup), that's when I noticed the
duplicates.

Won't the "Delete All Video Sources" re-fetch process cause me to lose
my recording history?

Joe, I tried deleting via MythWeb and it did not delete the channels.  I
deleted a few others (NBA PayPerView) and they deleted okay.

Any reason MythWeb would NOT delete a channel?