[mythtv-users] Zero Byte Recordings

Andrew Potter andrew at potter.id.au
Sun Sep 14 12:59:27 UTC 2014

Hi All,

I have been using Myth TV for about 2 ½ years or so with not many issues at
all, it is a credit to the devs.

Recently in an attempt to reduce power consumption I followed the ACPI
wakeup/Sleep instructions and have run into an issue with Zero Byte
Recordings.

The backend is set to shutdown. It is most often one or two of the first
scheduled recordings after a restart that seem to fail.

I have three separate PlayTV tuners ( 6 tuners in total) and a HVR-2200 PCI
tuner board. The three play tv units are added first, then the HVR unit.
Recording is set to use tuners 1 onwards with Live TV as the last tuner
backwards.

I have tried to get the playtv tuners to turn off when the computer is off
but have not had any success. The motherboard is a ASUS board and I have
played with the ERP settings and can now see that the optical mouse does
turn off but the red light on the playtv tuners stays on. I suppose I am
guessing the tuners do not always come up correctly.

Any pointers as to where I can go next is appreciated. I have listed some
details below including a backend log.

I am running mythbuntu 12.04 64-bit on the backend.

Myth Version

MythTV Version : v0.27.3-159-g2d4a7c9

MythTV Branch : fixes/0.27

Network Protocol : 77

Library API : 0.27.20140719-1

QT Version : 4.8.1

Options compiled in:

linux profile use_hidesyms using_alsa using_oss using_pulse
using_pulseoutput using_backend using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python
using_bindings_php using_crystalhd using_dvb using_firewire using_frontend
using_hdhomerun using_ceton using_hdpvr using_ivtv using_joystick_menu
using_libcec using_libcrypto using_libdns_sd using_libfftw3 using_libxml2
using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl using_opengl_video using_qtwebkit
using_qtscript using_qtdbus using_sdl using_taglib using_v4l2 using_x11
using_xrandr using_xv using_profiletype using_bindings_perl
using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_mythtranscode using_opengl
using_vaapi using_vdpau using_ffmpeg_threads using_mheg using_libass
using_libxml2

I have added the mythbackend log ( a truncated version) to pastebin at
http://paste.ubuntu.com/8342641/

There are zero byte recordings started at

1:55pm on 12/9

5:55pm on 12/9

6:55pm on 12/9

6:55pm on 12/9

Then at 6:56pm on 12/9 the recording is successful.

Also see times 10:55am on the 13/9 for a zero byte and 3:25pm on 13/9 for a
successful recording.

Thanks Andrew