[mythtv-users] CPU for dedicated backend

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Sat Sep 13 08:18:27 UTC 2014

Joseph Fry <joe at thefrys.com> wrote:

> Just because mythtv allows you to build a giant, noisy, power hungry backend server and locate it on top of your toilet tank... doesn't mean that it's the 'right' way... it all depends upon the goal your trying to reach.

Can we stop the almost "religious" argument about split vs combined ?
IMO there is no "wrong" way, and no "right" way. What is "best" is what setup optimises the various factors to the best satisfaction of the user concerned. For some, a combined system will be "best", for others a split system. For some, internal tuners will be "best", for others an external tuner (like the HDHR). It'll also depend on what hardware you already have - if you already have a "chunky" backend that not really suitable for a frontend (big/ugly/noisy) then a split system may well make sense, but if not and are buying new hardware then I find it hard to believe that you can't build a combined box for less than the cost of two boxes.

So can we agree that a combined FE/BE system is not wrong if that's what suits your needs ? And that a split system is also not wrong if it's what suits your needs ? The only person who can make that decision is the person who's system it is. We can offer suggestions regarding the pros and cons of each - but ultimately it is the users choice how important each factor is to him/her (perhaps influenced by SWHBO :) )