[mythtv-users] CPU for dedicated backend

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 15:32:28 UTC 2014

Hoi Eric,

>>> I respect your opinion, and while we all wish we had unlimited resources
>>> where we could dedicate a computer to single purpose, you must admit it is
>>> a bit wasteful.
>>
>>      If you aren't worrying about supporting any backend features, you can
>> easily get suitable low profile machines with a proper graphics card for
>> cheap.
>>
>>      If you aren't worrying about the machine being small or quiet or even
>> having a decent video card, you can get some really good deals on hardware.
>>
>>      Combining the two complicates both and can escalate prices dramatically.

> I'm having a very hard time imagining a case where a combined FE/BE
> system is more expensive/complicated than a dedicated FE and a
> dedicated BE purchased separately, even if the cost of the combined
> FE/BE machine is higher than either the FE or BE alone.

> It's hard to put together a decent FE system for under $200, where
> it's easy to upgrade a BE to a quiet FE/BE for less than that.  I have
> a Corsair water cooler block on mine (~$50) and I replaced the single
> fan it came with with two new ones ($9 each) in a low speed push-pull
> configuration.  The machine is quiet enough for the living room
> without being noticeable,  despite the 8-core cpu in the box.

> Eric

It's all a choice. When I started just over a year ago I started with
a combined BE/FE on an old machine. At the same time I have for years
a server running that could easily take on the backend. That server
together with my linuxrouter is sitting on a shelf in the top of my
toilet.
Yes even in a small home you can find place to isolate a louder 24/7
machine. So within a month I moved over the backend and later replaced
the frontend with a nice silent HP with an extra nvidia card that is
perfect but way to small to hold my capturecards. Not to speak of the
extra cooling needed for those capturecards. Also while fine-tuning
both the frontends I had very often had to reboot and have had periods
where the frontend wasn't so stable. When it was still combined I have
accidentally interrupted recordings that way.
Also when I had the frontend with a slave backend configured to take up
jobs like commflagging I noticed it to sometimes react sluggish to the
remote. This while it's a core2 dual!
So that is together with smaller considerations why I don't like to
combine them in one machine. The one is a server application the other
a desktop one needing among other different kernel configuration to
optimize functionality.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven