[mythtv-users] CPU for dedicated backend

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 21:35:21 UTC 2014

Hoi Joseph,

>> I have a little question about it. I have a ION board frontend and the
>> backend in the same place, is it a good idea to join both frontend and
>> backend in the same machine? This CPU could manage both service very
>> good, I could add a dedicated GPU.

>     I would keep the frontend separate. You are bound to do things with
> the backend that are likely to generate heat and noise and be disruptive
> to your playback environment.

>     If the backend is somewhere else entirely, you can let loose with it
> and do whatever you want.

> He said that he has the backend and frontend in the same place...
> he wasn't proposing to move the backend elsewhere.  If the backend
> is going to be there anyway, why have a separate frontend  right next to it... just combine them.

While his machine should be powerful enough to do both I don't like
them to be in the same machine. Mythfrontend can sometimes be unstable
needing a reboot. If the backend is in there you have to wait till
the backend is idle or disturb ongoing recordings.
Also in essence the demands for both are different. A frontend needs
to be quiet and have powerful enough graphics and sound and it is nice
if it looks nice. A backend just needs enough power to do what it must
and before most it needs to be stable. You could even leave out the
graphics and the sound.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven