[mythtv-users] CPU for dedicated backend

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Thu Sep 11 20:20:28 UTC 2014

> I will use the Quad core CPU.
>>
>> I have a little question about it. I have a ION board frontend and the
>> backend in the same place, is it a good idea to join both frontend and
>> backend in the same machine? This CPU could manage both service very
>> good, I could add a dedicated GPU.
>>

> I use that setup exactly on my TV (frontend / backend combo) and IONs
> around the house.  I have a hard time watching TV on the IONs practically -
> due to the menu speeds and fanart loading times when scrolling movies,
> etc..  It is well worth it if you keep it quiet.  I could never go back to
> a slow frontend again..
>

>> I will appreciate any help, I want to be sure that all will play fine

I agree... no reason to have two myth systems next to each other.

As I stated in my other email, if you choose the Pentium you will have a
built in GPU that supports VAAPI.  My backend is on a lowly G530 and I use
it as a frontend as well; with VAAPI I see almost no CPU usage during
playback... so I can run transcodes and commercial detection no problem
while still watching a show with no noticeable impact.  Adding a GPU would
significantly increase power usage, and for a server thats on 24/7 I didn't
see a point to it... and I don't care about having Advanced 2x
deinterlacing on my office TV... I just watch the news and sitcoms on a 19
inch monitor anyway.