[mythtv-users] CPU for dedicated backend

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Thu Sep 11 20:12:04 UTC 2014

> I want to change my backend machine, I actually have "HP ProLiant
> MicroServer" with a "AMD Turion II Neo N40L Dual-Core Processor".
>
> It host lots of services on it:
>
>  - mythbackend
>  - some apache sites
>  - p2p downloads
>  - home NFS shares
>  - owncloud
>
> I want to change the mythbackend to a dedicated server. I have 4 DVB
> devices (1 PCIe and 3 USB). I have two choices:
>
>  - Intel Core2 Quad Processor Q9300
>  - Intel Pentium Processor G2120
>
> Which one could you choose? Why?
>
> I will use the other CPU for a desktop PC.
>
> I am afraid about the electrical consumption, could I step down the
> CPU speed when I am not using it?
>
> This is a big upgrade to my mythtv system, so I want to be sure about
> the change

Comparing those two processors is like comparing apples and apples.... I'd
say they are about equal for average workloads.  The quad will definitely
win in multi-threaded scenarios while the Pentium would likely win in
single thread tasks.

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/494/Intel_Core_2_Quad_Q9300_vs_Intel_Pentium_Dual-Core_G2120.html
agrees with my assesment.

I would go for the Pentium, mostly because it has a built in GPU, so you
could use your backend for some light frontend use with VAAPI if desired
without having to spring for a GPU.  I use my backed as my Office TV...
it's great.  The Pentium is also lower power.

Additionally, tasks like transcoding may be a bit faster on the Pentium..
though multithreaded transcoding has come a long way so I could be wrong on
this.

Now if these are two processors you have just laying around and want to put
to use... either one is really overkill anyway.