[mythtv-users] CPU for dedicated backend

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 17:52:40 UTC 2014

Hoi Josu,

> Hello all,

> I want to change my backend machine, I actually have "HP ProLiant
> MicroServer" with a "AMD Turion II Neo N40L Dual-Core Processor".

> It host lots of services on it:

>  - mythbackend
>  - some apache sites
>  - p2p downloads
>  - home NFS shares
>  - owncloud

> I want to change the mythbackend to a dedicated server. I have 4 DVB
> devices (1 PCIe and 3 USB). I have two choices:

>  - Intel Core2 Quad Processor Q9300
>  - Intel Pentium Processor G2120

> Which one could you choose? Why?

> I will use the other CPU for a desktop PC.

> I am afraid about the electrical consumption, could I step down the
> CPU speed when I am not using it?

> This is a big upgrade to my mythtv system, so I want to be sure about
> the change.

> Thanks for your help.

> Kind regards.

What is the use for the desktop machine? Are you going to do some more
heavy multitasking? Then the quadcore will definitely improve
performance. If it will be a simple desktop for mail, some surfing and
the occasional letter then the backend can definitively beter use the
parallel processing of the quadcore. Downscaling of processor speed is
automatic in most distributions. Set it to on-demand and it will
standardly go to the lowest speed per core unless needed. The
possibilities for downscaling are probably better with the quadcore.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop