[mythtv-users] additional drive

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 11:56:00 UTC 2014

Hoi Daryl,

Thursday, September 11, 2014, 5:58:34 AM, you wrote:

> [...]

>  homedirectory to /media/storage/mythtv instead of to the simlink.
>
>  sudo usermod -d /media/storage/mythtv mythtv
>  (assuming the directoryname and the username to be as in the command)
>
>  You then can leave the simlink as backup for wherever it might be
>  hardcoded in any configfile.
>  Be also sure to set the keep free parameter for the recording high
>  enough so your home directory can not get into trouble. I suggest 10
>  Gb
>
>  If you want to move the main home directory back to being strait on
>  /var/lib/mythtv. You do the following:
>  Make sure mythbackend is not running
>  log in as a different user then mythtv
>  unmount /media/storage:
>      sudo umount /media/storage
>  now you can delete the simlink /var/lib/mythtv for it is dead:
>      sudo rm /var/lib/mythtv
>  create the directory /var/lib/mythtv and set the rights OK:
>      sudo mkdir /var/lib/mythtv
>      sudo chown mythtv /var/lib/mythtv
>      sudo chmod 750 /var/lib/mythtv
>  remount /media/storage
>      sudo mount /media/storage
>  copy everything from /media/storage/mythtv except for the storage
>  directories, the metadata directories, video and livetv back to
>  /var/lib/mythtv. Be sure to catch the hidden directories like .mythtv.
>  Then as an extra check that everything is still owned by mythtv run:
>      sudo chown -R mythtv /var/lib/mythtv
>
>  Then on the second drive on /media/storage2 you create a recordings
>  directory as described earlier and add that to the storage group. You
>  can also do so for for instance livetv.
>

>  Tot mails,
>    Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com
>
>  "Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
>  Zonder leven is er geen hoop
>  Het eeuwige dilemma
>  Zeker als je hoop moet vernietigen om te kunnen overleven!"
>
>  De lerende Mens

> As I read what you've responded it's becoming clear that I
> misinformed you. From poking around in the BE setup storage
> directories, they are all pointing to /var/lib/mythtv, the symlink
> my son setup for me was in my home directory (on the precise system)
> to the mythtv directory (so I could easily manipulate recordings) so
> becuse of the fstab editing, I assume, the two 1Tb drives present
> themselves as "/media/storage" and "/media/storage2" (when I hover
> on them after launching files), but /media/storage only has two
> directories in it, mythtv ( this including the metadata directories
> (banners, coverart, fanart, screenshots, trailers) and video and
> livetv.) and forever (which I will remove) so now I would create a
> directory in /media/storage2 called "recordings"? In /media/storage
> there is mythtv with recordings in it, so I would have two
> recordings directories? "/media/storage/mythtv/recordings" and
> "/media/storage2/recordings" or should it be
> "/media/storage2/mythtv/recordings"?    as always, much appreciated  Daryl

De Nada. I already thought it strange for setting a simlink as
homedirectory, although it would work. But then young people (I assume
your son to be young) in my experience sometimes choose strange
solutions without thinking it fully through. They often solve things
as they come without looking at a further future and without placing
themselfs in the position of the person they help solve.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com