[mythtv-users] additional drive

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 23:43:26 UTC 2014

On Sep 10, 2014 6:55 PM, "Hika van den Hoven" <hikavdh at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hoi Daryl,
>
> Thursday, September 11, 2014, 12:39:29 AM, you wrote:
>

> > On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 6:28 PM, jacek burghardt
> > <jaceksburghardt at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Well maybe it is permission issue you can can change e it to 0777
> > or change owner to user that runs mythtv. I hope you got one of those
10 tb hard drives from wd.

> > My drives are two single Tb drives, shucks! but on a brighter note
> > I'm back to normal. A reboot meant that I can record tonight, yeah!
> > so if I understand this correctly, I should "cd" to the newly added
> > drive, make a directory there called /media/storage2, reboot, and
> > then I should see the extra space in the FE's info pages?
>
> In essence correct. To sum it all up:
> On what I assume is your root partition you need to have two
> directories, /media/storage and /media/storage2. As you have it added
> to your /etc/fstab you should, if you run df after a reboot see the
> two 1 Tb volumes being mounted on those two mount-points.
> Then within those two volumes you can create directories you add to
> your volumegroups. By adding the same directory for every volume group
> you use to each drive and adding them both to that volumegroup you
> will get a balanced use over the two volumes.
> Check that each directory you create on the two drives is owned by
> your mythtv user ( for example: sudo chown mythtv
> /media/storage/recordings etc.) and that the rights are 755 or 750
> (sudo chmod 755 /media/storage/recordings) Also both /media,
> /media/storage and /media/storage2 should have at least rx rights for
> other ( sudo chmod o+rx /media/storage2 )
>
> Tot mails,
>   Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com
>
> "Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
> Zonder leven is er geen hoop
> Het eeuwige dilemma
> Zeker als je hoop moet vernietigen om te kunnen overleven!"
>
> De lerende Mens

My set up may be slightly different, originally I started with one 1Tb
drive, and had my son come over and set up a separate partition for
recordings, what he did, apparently was create a link from /var/lib/mythtv
to the new partition, so everything that is in that directory is on the
separate partition, keeping root safe from corruption. There is actually
another directory beside mythtv called "forever" where I could put
recordings I wanted to keep. This was done with limited knowledge of myth's
potential and I think I will undo it, as it is not used.
So, has this original setup been done on a less than standard way, and need
to be changed to allow the second drive to come into use properly? The OS
is on a separate 250 Gb drive and the /var/lib/mythtv directory is on one
1Tb drive (/dev/sdc1) and the other 1Tb drive (/dev/sdb3) is ext4 with
nothing on it. It was the original drive that my son separated and
partitioned for me a year ago hence sdb3.
I'm hoping this is a puzzle to your liking, Hika and not too confounded.
The drive with recordings is only about 5/8 full so no great panic to get
the second on line, but with the new season around the corner I may need
the extra space.
Again many thanks to all contributes to this point.   Daryl