[mythtv-users] MythTV Install

Thomas Mashos thomas at mashos.com
Wed Sep 10 16:33:05 UTC 2014

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 9:24 AM, Richard Brook <byronf16 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 12:00 PM, Richard Brook <byronf16 at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-database (answer "yes")
>>>
>>> sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-common (answers: mythconverg, mythtv,
>>> mythtv, your eth0 address)
>>>
>>> Yes, I say choose a password that makes sense and you can remember.
>>> Your mythtv system isn't accessible from the internet anyway is it?

>> Well - Everything seems to be working well in Mythbuntu. My GUI displays
>> full screen on my HDTV but the video from LiveTV or Recordings display in a
>> square area in the center of the display. If I go to the Video Setup menu
>> and choose Separate the GUI and Playback, what should I change the
>> parameters to to make use of the rest of my 50" display? I have played
>> around with this in the past and ended up with the GUI being too large and
>> cut off on the edges.
>>
>> I normally output to my HDTV at 1080p.
>

> I was able to go into the Frontend setup, Appearance,  and choose Separate
> GUI and Playback. The default was 640x480. I set both to 1920x1080. The GUI
> size was still OK. When watching LiveTV, the width is using the entire width
> of the TV screen although it is shorter on the top and bottom a little.
>
> The problem now is that when I hit ESC and exit MythTV, my Desktop
> resolution was reset to 640x480. I had to open the Nvidia Control Panel and
> change it back to 1920x1080. How do I keep that from happening?

The default is disabled, not 640x480 (implying that we set some
strange low number). Under normal circumstances, you wouldn't need to
separate the video from the GUI. I've chatted a bit about this
feature, and it's for if you think your tv does a better job at
scaling low resolution video than mythtv does.

So I'd disable that feature again and see if we can't fix why you only
have a small square of video.

--
Thanks,

Thomas Mashos