[mythtv-users] Problems with Ceton PCIe

Justin Moore justin.nonwork at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 19:35:42 UTC 2014

> In order, I would:
>
> 0) Stop top posting

<flame>
I apologize for using a mail client written after 1995.
</flame>

> 1) Reach out to linux at cetoncorp.com (to see
>     if their company realizes that RFC MUSTs
>     are not optional, and that they really have
>     to accept responsibility here).

I did that and initially got no response. After kicking up some dust on
Amazon, Newegg, and Twitter, I appear to have finally gotten their
attention. We'll see where this goes.

> 2) Appeal the ticket (ask to be referred to
>     a supervisor to review the ticket).  This
>     is actually not a MythTV or Linux issue,
>     that is just where you reproduced the
>     failure.  You could likely reproduce the
>     failure on Windows with a RTSP client.
>     It is possible that your ticket wording
>     resulted in confusion by the level 0
>     support droid.  Sometimes it just needs
>     someone else to review the ticket.

Already done. I don't have Windows running on any computer in my house, so
that's a no-go. I did finally hear back from their Linux people about 15
minutes ago.

> 3) Return the Ceton for a full refund as
>     not being RFC compliant.  Make sure
>     the retailer knows it is Ceton that has
>     failed to support their product.

I'm holding off on that for a few days until I see how (2) unfolds.

> 4) If Ceton is unwilling to correct the firmware,
>     update the MythTV wiki to recommend
>     against Ceton as a vendor, as their latest
>     firmwares are not RFC compliant, and may
>     not work properly.

See (3).

-jdm