[mythtv-users] MythTV Install

Richard Brook byronf16 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 14:45:59 UTC 2014

On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 10:29 AM, Janusz S. Bien <jsbien at mimuw.edu.pl> wrote:

> Quote/Cytat - Richard Brook <byronf16 at gmail.com> (Mon 08 Sep 2014
> 04:10:58 PM CEST):
>

>  This is becoming very frustrating.
>>

> I compeltely agree. I spend almost the whole weekend try to install MythTV
> on two virtual machines (I'm afraid to touch my "production" version) and I
> am still very confused.
>
>  I just did a clean install of Ubuntu
>> 14.04, again. I go to the Software Center to do a clean install of MythTV.
>> I select MythTV Backend
>>

> Why not mythtv?
>
>  and the install begins.
>>

> [...]
>
> I think you get better feedback about the installation process with
> aptitude or apt-get (but I'm a Debian man not familiar with Ubuntu Software
> Center)
>

>> The other fields are Ping Test - It is checked. Port: 3306. Database Name
>> mythconverg. User mythtv. Password mythtv.
>>

> I guess you mean mythtv-setup
>
>  If I click on Next it takes me to Database screen 2. I click on Finish and
>> it takes me right back to the Select Language screen. I have to cancel out
>> as I am in a loop.
>>

> This seems a 'standard' behavious when the connection to the database
> doesn't work.
>
>  This has happened to me before, this week where I did a Clean install of
>> both OS and MythTV with the same scenario. When I first installed 14.04
>> and
>> MythTV, a month ago, I had no problems with the install. Could there be
>> changes in the Ubuntu Updates or in the MythTV Install that are causing
>> these issues? By the way, I did the Clean install today. I was never asked
>> to create an Admin password for the database.
>>

> Admin in mysql is called root, try to login as root
>
> mysql -uroot -p
>
> (you will be asked for a password which perhaps is empty)
>
> Try also mysql -umythtv  -pmythtv
>
> I guess at this stage you would be refused.
>
> Then log again as root and do what I wrote already yesterday
>
> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO 'mythtv'@'localhost';
>
> Logout and try again
>
> mysql -umythtv  -pmythtv
>
> I think this time you will be accepted.
>
> If yes, then probably mythtv-setup will start to work. If not, then we
> will just know more about the situation...
>
> Best regards and good luck
>

> Janusz
>
> --
> Prof. dr hab. Janusz S. Bień -  Uniwersytet Warszawski (Katedra
> Lingwistyki Formalnej)
> Prof. Janusz S. Bień - University of Warsaw (Formal Linguistics Department)
> jsbien at uw.edu.pl, jsbien at mimuw.edu.pl, http://fleksem.klf.uw.edu.pl/~
> jsbien/

I have run the install from both the Software Center and Terminal. Software
center does not have a choice of MythTV, but rather MythTV Backend or
MythTV Frontend. No matter which one you choose it installs both. I have
not tried running mythtv-setup from Terminal. I have been selecting Backend
from the list of applications and configuring that first. I then select
Frontend and configure that. Unfortunately, lately, I don't get very far in
the Backend configuration.

I will explore again later today.