[mythtv-users] How to disable fan art?

Mon Sep 8 10:24:12 UTC 2014

On Sat, Sep 06, 2014 at 11:05:37AM -0400, Will Dormann wrote:
> On 9/6/14 11:00 AM, John Adams wrote:
> > you can always
> >     mv mythmetadatalookup mythmetadatalookup.orig
> > and then
> >     ln -s /bin/true mythmetadatalookup
>

> Yeah, I considered doing that very thing.  It's just that custom tweaks
> end up with a system that is less friendly to upgrades.  e.g., next
> apt-get upgrade that pulls in a new mythtv version clobbers what I did
> to it.

That's easy. Just inform the package manager of your intentions:

$ dpkg-divert --divert /usr/bin/mythmetadatalookup.orig --rename
/usr/bin/mythmetadatalookup

That will instruct any package trying to install
/usr/bin/mythmetadatalookup to instead install it to
/usr/bin/mythmetadatalookup.orig. Your symlink won't get clobbered.