[mythtv-users] MythTV Install

Janusz S. Bien jsbien at mimuw.edu.pl
Mon Sep 8 08:11:13 UTC 2014

Quote/Cytat - Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> (Mon 08 Sep
2014 10:00:58 AM CEST):

[...]

> Er, no. I just last week upgraded from deb-multimedia/wheezy
> (0.26.something) to deb-multimedia/wheezy-backports (0.27.3) and had
> no problem at all with database permissions.

Wheezy seems OK. Several weeks ago I've installed the frontend
backports on two instances of wheezy and also had no problem. The
problems are on testing and sid, but it's quite possible that its just
my fault.

> I can also assure you that the generated mythtv user /does/ have a
> home directory. It must have in order to be able to run
> mythfilldatabase, amongst other reasons.
>
> What you may find is that the home directory is in /var/lib or
> somewhere like that, where system users often keep their home
> directories.

Thanks, I found it in /var/lib

> Aside: I find that, for Debian and derivatives, upgrading your OS
> may produce strange results. This is because system users do not
> have fixed UIDs and may generate /different/ ones than the last
> install; this can cause extreme confusion in the /var directory! A
> clean install is best, and that means creating the mythtv user
> /first/ with a genuine home directory in /home, before installing
> any mythtv software.

An interesting suggestion, I will try it on a next occasion.

BTW, when I added myself to the mythtv group, then Debian was unable
to uninstall mythtv. I now use sudo -u mythtv...

Regards

Janusz

--
Prof. dr hab. Janusz S. Bień -  Uniwersytet Warszawski (Katedra
Lingwistyki Formalnej)