[mythtv-users] Attic Antenna: simple question.

Bert Haskins bhaskins at chartermi.net
Mon Sep 8 01:13:02 UTC 2014

On 9/7/2014 8:36 PM, Tom Poe wrote:
> [...]
>>>     > > simple conductors insulated from the boom.  There might be a
>>>     bunch
>>>     > > of plastic washers and sleeves where they are not obvious to the
>>>     > > casual glance.
>>>     > >
>>>     > > If you doubled the length of the passive elements there
>>>     > > would be a node at the centre, so electrical connection
>>>     > > would be OK.  But that would make the antenna twice as
>>>     > > large as necessary.  Such a design would surprise me.
>>>     > >
>>>     > > With a log-periodic antenna there are two parallel booms.  half
>>>     > > of the elements are electrically connected to one and the other
>>>     > > half are connected to the other.
>>>     > >
>>>     > > Many, many, weird and wonderful designs are possible.
>>>     > >
>>>     > > If you like mucking about with this stuff, go for it.
>>>     > >
>>>     > > If you just want a marginal signal to be a bit better
>>>     > > consider buying a new (corrosion free), slightly larger antenna.
>>>
>>     Q. Does mild surface corrosion affect the signal?
>>
>>>     > > Make sure that it is pointing in the right direction.
>>>     > > Check that there are no obstructions, hills, neighbour's
>>>     > > new attic, wet trees, etc.   Yes, at some frequencies a mess
>>>     > > of leaf sized conductors will block a signal.  Dry leaves
>>>     > > don't conduct enough to matter.  Then all of the usual stuff,
>>>     > > check the cables and connectors.  Is anything generating
>>>     > > electronic noise nearby?
>>>     >
>>>     > I've used Yagi antennas where all elements are grounded in the
>>>     middle.
>>>     > Dipole is not insulated. As much I remember of this type of design
>>>     > insulation is not necessary because there is never any voltage in
>>>     > center point (although it is the point of max current).
>>>     >
>>>     > --
>>>     > Cheers, Saul
>>>     > _______________________________________________
>>>     > mythtv-users mailing list
>>>     > mythtv-users at mythtv.org <mailto:mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>>>     > http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
>>>     > MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
>>>
>>>     Since E = I x R, how can there be no voltage (E) and max current
>>>     (I) at any point?
>>>
>>     Impedance.
>>     E and I are shifted in respect to each other so at a given point
>>     in time you can have zero voltage and max current at a given point.
>>     There are many good explanations on the net and this is but one
>>     of the many things that puts antennas in the "black art" category.
>>
>>     Please replace "dipole" in my original question with "folded
>>     dipole"... yet another senior moment.

>> Forgive my oversight  0 = infinity x 0, may I claim the senior moment
>> too?

> Unfortunately, I know nothing that could contribute to this
> discussion.  Is this antenna purposed to pull in digital television
Yes
> I live 72 miles from Minnesota tv farm.  Line of sight is minimal, so
> signals are strong enough late at night, but reception is poor during
> the day.  My attic antenna is a DIY Hoverman
I've built a Hoverman and got better results with a DIY quad bowtie.
I'm gathering parts to do the dual quad variation.
> with a pre-amp booster.  What is an antenna used for with Comcast cable?
So that I can keep using my HDHR and record more that one channel and
edit the recordings.
Plus the sound is much!!! better with OTA.
Better than 90% of what I record is just for time-shifting.
>   Are you looking for digital over the air reception on your mythtv setup?
I am getting four out of the five channels that I care about.
Only two of these are easy to get.