[mythtv-users] MythTV Install

Janusz S. Bien jsbien at mimuw.edu.pl
Sun Sep 7 19:19:13 UTC 2014

Quote/Cytat - Richard Brook <byronf16 at gmail.com> (Sun 07 Sep 2014
08:44:48 PM CEST):

> I recently had my Ubuntu 14.04 system crash. I did a clean install of 14.04
> again and then a clean install of MythTV. I have installed it successfully
> numerous times, in the past, from Terminal and Software Center, without
> issue.
>
> Now, whenever I try to install it, I run the back end and I get the message
> cannot connect to database, password not correct. I followed some advice
> and ran an msql command an reset the password to MythTV. I completed the
> back end config and proceeded to the frontend. There, I get an error that
> the frontend cannot connect to the back end. May be an IP issue. I never
> saw that before. I assume it should be 127.0.0.1, as that is the default.
>
> I did a purge of MythTV and reinstalled it. When it asked for the d
> password, I entered MythTV.

Where and when?

> When the install finished, I ran the Back end,
> and was greeted with the same screen asking what language to use, followed
> by the cannot connect to database error.

I had similar problems which I still don't fully understand.

I discovered that the password is not sufficient to login unless the
mythtv user was granted the appropriate priviledges. I've logged to
mysql as root and used

GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON * . * TO 'mythtv'@'localhost';

Then I checked that I can login to mysql as mythtv.

It helped on my Debian jessie installation, but seems not sufficient
for Ubuntu 14.10.

best regards

Janusz

--
Prof. dr hab. Janusz S. Bień -  Uniwersytet Warszawski (Katedra
Lingwistyki Formalnej)