[mythtv-users] HDPVR replacement

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 15:36:39 UTC 2014

On Sun, Sep 7, 2014 at 3:06 PM, Calvin Dodge <caldodge at gmail.com> wrote:
> I tend to prefer HDHomeruns, since they don't use expansion slots (unless if
> I'm dedicating a network card for them).

And while they are fine devices, they can only tune the locals
on TWC (and only until TWC encrypts all streams in your area;
and that is where they are heading; your timing will vary, and
TWC is moving slowly.  When Comcast Borgs TWC, I would
expect that roll-out to move more quickly to bring past TWC
regions into the Comcast way, but the good news might be
that the Comcast way also means (currently) DRM settings
of copy-freely for most channels other than the premiums, so
a HDHR Prime might then be more useful (or not)).

> As far as reliability is concerned, it seems HDHomerun is slightly better.
> Each of my 2 PVR-500s has lost one tuner

The PVR-500's (and the PVR-350/250) suffer from heat issues.
The components (likely the caps) change values and/or fail
over time.  You can usually "fix" a tuner for a while by cooling
the entire card aggressively, or (for a more permanent solution)
consider testing and replacing the caps (especially) in the RF
section(s).

But, again, the PVR-xxx is a short term solution in TWC
areas, as TWC is removing all the analog channels as part of
the roll-out of encryption of basic (actually, it is a requirement
to remove the analog channels to encrypt basic).