[mythtv-users] scheduler confusion

blind Pete 0123peter at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 08:30:59 UTC 2014

On Mon, 01 Sep 2014 22:47:29 -0400
"Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> On 08/07/2014 04:58 AM, Simon Hobson wrote:
> > AFAIK you should rarely, if ever, have to specify cards/inputs in
> > your recording rules. Normally you simply tell the system *WHAT*
> > you want recording and it works out *WHERE* it can be recorded.
>
> +1

Agreed.

> It's amazing how often people's adding channel or input or power
> priorities, or complex power/custom recording rules, or using
> recording filters or too-restrictive recording rule types to ensure
> MythTV records the shows they want also prevent MythTV from recording
> other shows they want, which causes them to add more (and more)
> complex/confusing channel/input/power priorities or power rules or
> filters or ...
>
> In most cases, when all is said and done, the answer to the question,
> "Why doesn't MythTV recording show X?" comes down to, "Because here,
> for show Y, you told it ..., which prevents show X from recording,"
> and in some cases, "because of the way they line up with shows Z, A,
> B, and C..."  Often, clearing all the priorities and, sometimes,
> filters, then setting up simple "record all" rules and using
> rule-based priorities alone will allow MythTV to get all the shows
> you want without your ever having to worry.
>
> In other words, too many people paint MythTV into a corner--without
> realizing it--and then think the scheduler is broken because it's
> doing exactly what they told it to do.  (And they eventually find out
> that's the case when someone takes a couple hours of their free time
> to dig through their scheduler output and priorities and rules for
> them.)
>
> Mike

Thank you for your time and effort Mike.  I have seen your name
on a huge number of posts.

Having been surprised by MythTV, I wondered if I had failed to
configure it, or mis-configured it, or the problem was more complex
than I had thought, or is it possible to do better?

My mind is tuning to user interfaces and a quote from Albert Einstein,
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.".

No promises, but I am trying hard to think.

--
testing
bP