[mythtv-users] OT: Harmony remote via myharmony software

Andrew C. (AFPup) Stadt acstadt at stadt.ca
Sat Sep 6 13:48:25 UTC 2014

On 02/09/2014 2:27 AM, Marius Schrecker wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 2, 2014 04:10 CEST, "Andrew C. (AFPup) Stadt" <acstadt at stadt.ca> wrote:
>   Sorry for the noise on the list, but I know that several people use the
> Logitech Harmony series of remotes, so hoping for an answer.
>
> I've been running an older Harmony 700 for several years now with out
> issues. Recently purchased a 2nd unit to use on another system. The old
> unit I program via Logitech Harmony Remote 7 software, but, in order to
> setup the new one, they are making me use the 'MyHarmony' software. Now,
> this might sound like the stupidest question on earth, but for the life
> of me I can't figure out what to put in for Manufacturer or model number
> to get started. With the other software I can select PVR, or HTPC, put
> in Knoppmyth for the manufacturer and then configure the details the way
> I want. Right now, I can't even get started. In this case, the remote
> is just controlling the computer, no TV, no sound system, just the computer.
>
> Thanks in advance, and again sorry for the noise on the list.
>
> Andrew.
> Harmony have changed the way in which devices are found during the initial setup and now identify by model number. I also had trouble with this as one or two non-standard pieces of equipment were completely misidentified and had to be sorted out by Harmony support who were, very helpful.
>
> I now have everything approximately as I want it with the exception of the Antec Fusion which controls MythTV and receives certain commands irritatilngly unreliably (this was fine with my older harmony remote so I fail to understand why the commands can't just be copied from the old db to the new).
>
> Have you tried identifying your equipment by model number?
>
> Cheers!

Thanks for the replies Mike and Marius.  I got it somewhat working
(again, the older software seems to work so much better).

Marius: One of the issues I was having with the MyHarmony software is
that the model number seems to override the Manufacturer if it can't
find an exact match.  The only question, is what the *bleep* do you put
in for a model number on a generic MCE receiver?  At least with older
software, you could limit the selection list by selecting the device
type/manufacturer, then if you were off a little on the model number, it
would give you a short list of items to choose from... but this is
better if I take it to Logitech... I doubt they are looking here.

Thanks again,

Andrew.