[mythtv-users] options for upgrade from 0.21

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Wed Sep 3 18:59:08 UTC 2014

On Wednesday, September 03, 2014 12:22:02 PM Joseph Fry wrote:

> > > Just do an iterative upgrade... 0.23, 0.25, 0.27.... should be pretty
> > > flawless as far as upgrading the critical data (recording history).
> > > Then I would do a full DB backup (just in case) and a partial DB
> > > backup (for restoring to the new system).
> >
> > Dang, forgot to mention one (critical) part: the old box is running
> > Fedora 9 (pre-Core days) with a /boot too small to upgrade, or I would
> > have way back. And could I even get RPMs for 0.23 for it?
> >
> > So what I'd have to do is install Fedora-something on the new machine
> > and do the Backup/Restore to it, and then continue upgrading Myth on
> > it.
> You don't necessarily need to upgrade Fedora to update myth (you may need
> to build from source, and you may have dependency issues though).
>
> You could probably get away with creating a VM on another system,
> installing a linux distro of your choice that included Mythtv 0.21, then
> upgrading from there... just to get the schema where it should be.

This sounds like the most-promising route. I remember looking into it a
year ago but got a little bewildered trying to figure out what combination
of Fedora and 3rd-party repos to use to get a new-old working 0.21 to
restore my backup DB into.

Fedora is the way I want to go, I have lots of experience. What's the last
Fedora to have 0.21 support in the repos I'd need?

By chance is there a way I could capture my current setup in a VM like I've
done with VMWare and a couple Windows boxes before? Even if I could use it
in a KVM.

--
A little of Jerome's MythTV World: http://mythtv.bss.ab.ca