[mythtv-users] options for upgrade from 0.21

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Wed Sep 3 17:03:16 UTC 2014

On 03/09/14 17:22, Joseph Fry wrote:

>>> Just do an iterative upgrade... 0.23, 0.25, 0.27.... should be pretty
>>> flawless as far as upgrading the critical data (recording history).  Then
>>> I would do a full DB backup (just in case) and a partial DB backup (for
>>> restoring to the new system).
>>
>> Dang, forgot to mention one (critical) part: the old box is running Fedora
>> 9 (pre-Core days) with a /boot too small to upgrade, or I would have way
>> back. And could I even get RPMs for 0.23 for it?
>>
>> So what I'd have to do is install Fedora-something on the new machine and
>> do the Backup/Restore to it, and then continue upgrading Myth on it.
>>

> You don't necessarily need to upgrade Fedora to update myth (you may need
> to build from source, and you may have dependency issues though).
>
> You could probably get away with creating a VM on another system,
> installing a linux distro of your choice that included Mythtv 0.21, then
> upgrading from there... just to get the schema where it should be.
>
> Its a shame that no one developed the schema updater as a separate app that
> would update any version to any other version... would be handy.

This. Whenever I did any database development on the mainframes, and afterwards
on PCs, the first task after designing the database tables and fields was to (i)
write a program that initialized a blank database; (ii) write a program that
dumped the database to a flat text file, keeping all constraints and (iii) write
a program - or update the existing one - to upload the text backups to the new
format from any older format.

--

Mike Perkins