[mythtv-users] finding leaks

Larry Finger Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net
Mon Sep 1 15:17:30 UTC 2014

On 09/01/2014 10:04 AM, Daryl McDonald wrote:
> I've attempted to use a command found in a recent thread:
>
> daryl at daryl-A780L3C:~$ valgrind --leak-check=full --error-limit=no
> --show-reachable=yes --log-file=/tmp/vg.out     /usr/local/bin/mythfrontend
> -v general,playback,libav --loglevel=debug --quiet --logpath=/tmp
> valgrind: /usr/local/bin/mythfrontend: No such file or directory
>
> so I made the directory:
>
> daryl at daryl-A780L3C:~$ cd /usr/local/bin
> daryl at daryl-A780L3C:/usr/local/bin$ sudo mkdir mythfrontend
>
> and tried again:
>
> daryl at daryl-A780L3C:~$ valgrind --leak-check=full --error-limit=no
> --show-reachable=yes --log-file=/tmp/vg.out     /usr/local/bin/mythfrontend
> -v general,playback,libav --loglevel=debug --quiet --logpath=/tmp
> valgrind: /usr/local/bin/mythfrontend: is a directory
> daryl at daryl-A780L3C:~$
>
> At this point said directory is empty, What should I do to get this
> working? When the system turned on this morning for a recording the ram
> usage was at 1.5Gb and has steadily climbed to 3.3Gb in one hour doing only
> one recording. Am I even on the right track?

That argument to valgrind is the name of the program to check for leaks. The
user who posted that command had mythfrontend in /usr/local/bin, and that is
where mine is found. Yours is obviously someplace else, probably in /usr/bin.
You can find it with 'which mythfrontend'. Use that path to start valgrind, and
delete that directory that you created.

Larry