[mythtv-users] PCI motherboard, or switch to PCIe/USB/net?

Alex Butcher mythlist at assursys.co.uk
Mon Sep 1 15:16:15 UTC 2014

On Sun, 31 Aug 2014, Andre Newman wrote:

> On 31 Aug 2014, at 02:25, Marco Nelissen <marco.nelissen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> My motherboard died and so I need a replacement. The thing is that I currently have three PCI capture cards, and motherboards with 3 PCI slots are increasingly hard to find, and apparently don't last very long (this one lasted 2 years).
>> I'm wondering whether it would be worthwhile to switch to PCIe, USB or networked capture cards, or whether I should stick with PCI. Also, suggestions for an LGA1155 motherboard that will last more than 2 years are welcome.
>
> I was in a similar situation a year ago, I felt I should buy a motherboard
> with PCI slots while I still could.

Same here, though back at the end of 2010. I have a Hauppauge Nova-T, a
Nova-T-500 and a quad-port D-Link NIC in my MythTV box.

I ended up moving to an Asus P7H55 and it's still running fine. I've
recently upgraded the discs from 2x2TB WD Caviar Black to 2x4TB WD Red in
RAID1. The P7H55 isn't available any longer, but
<http://skinflint.co.uk/?cat=mbp4_1156&xf=489_3#xf_top> suggests there might
still be some Foxconn and Gigabyte H55-based boards kicking around. Failing
that
<http://skinflint.co.uk/?cat=mbp4_1155&asuch=&bpmax=&v=e&plz=&dist=&sort=eintr&xf=489_3>
and <http://skinflint.co.uk/?cat=mbp4_1150&xf=489_3#xf_top>
might give some alternatives.