[mythtv-users] MythTV needs to listen on 2 ports

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Oct 30 22:20:47 UTC 2014

On 30/10/14 03:51 PM, John Moore (Compucom Systems Inc) wrote:
> Geoff, Did I miss something about LiveTV?  LiveTV seems to be the issue I am missing right now.  For recordings, I can use PLEX to watch those an it will listen on all network ports.
>
> It seems the killer for me is LiveTV.

LiveTV is always a bit of problem. It is, to a certain extent the
bastard step-child: an add-on to keep the crowd in the peanut gallery
quiet. I don't use it much and most of the devs don't either.

When you have a half a terabyte of stuff to watch, you don't often watch
livetv *through myth*. Yes I watched the World Series last night, my
only baseball game of the year. On the TV, directly.
The myth box was recording something on PBS!

If you weren't messing around, just for the fun of it, I would say that
you should move either your setup, or the kids, to the same subnet as
the backend, and that frontend should be able to access livetv without
problems.

I seriously suspect that you cannot get livetv working exactly BECAUSE
you are working across subnets and myth does not like that! I run a
combined BE/FE at home (ok, and at work, purely and solely for testing
purposes,,, testing purposes only. And that's my story and I'm sticking
to it!).

If you use the Parental Controls route, then both frontends could access
livetv as the tuners are on the backend... BUT I have no idea if you can
use Parental Controls against tuners... recordings yes, but I am not
sure how livetv deals with that...It *is* a recording which you watch
with a tiny bit of latency, but I am not sure that accessing livetv
gives you the opportunity to set the Recording Group it will be stored
in... Ah HAH... of course, it goes to the LIVETV group, which you could
restrict. So the kids could not use livetv, but YOU could...

The thread report I posted seemed quite complete.

As I said before, I think you are trying to do this the wrong way round.
It may be because of 'the way things grew', but it adds a major
constraint that I see no reason for. There are other ways to restrict
access, in linux, than by creating firewalls, and then scrambling to
poke holes in the firewall!

Deponent further sayeth not..

Geoff

--