[mythtv-users] RNG110 Set-top Box

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 17:26:31 UTC 2014

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 4:41 PM, Justin Alcorn <justin at jalcorn.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 10:52 PM, Gary Buhrmaster
> <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Other MSOs (TWC being the largest, but not the only(*)) mark
>> most content other than the local and government channels
>> as Copy Once, which only certified devices supporting full
>> protected path implementations (Microsoft and TiVo)
>> can record, resulting in MythTV not being entirely viable.
>>

> I'm on TWC NEOhio. Do I read this correctly that a InfiniTV with a
> cable card will NOT allow me to record using MythTV on Linux?  Even
> just basic cable (I don't have premium channels).

Every franchise is different, but typically in TWC areas, only
the locals (OTA rebroadcasts) and the government channels
(CSPAN) and locally mandated PEG channels are copy freely.
No basic cable (DSC, TNT, USA, etc.) are copy-freely (an
occasional exception exists in those locations where analogue
and clearQAM is still being used for a few of the basic basics
until TWC encrypts all channels, which is in their plans, but
being rolled out first in areas with a higher than usual amount
of theft of service).

So, in TWC areas, unless you are happy with just the
OTAs (which you can usually receive without cable in the
first place) no OCUR tuner is likely a complete solution (it
may be a useful addition to the mix, allowing one to record
the OTAs concurrent with utilizing the analogue hole on
the STB for other content).

> And how do I find out if I'm in an acquisition area, so I can hope
> that this will change?

Well, I read the announcements (including the FCC
reports) very very carefully, and then I talked to the
local TV engineer in my friends franchise to confirm
(it is a small franchise, everyone knows everyone).
Note that it ain't over till its over.  Things can change.
The merger might get blocked, or conditions applied.
And even if the merger happens, it will take many many
months (I would expect a few years) to integrate the
existing territories into the fold.  So, even if you are,
do not get your hopes up.

Note that at least one report suggests NE Ohio is being
thrown overboard to Charter (apparently not interesting
to Comcast, not being one of the big markets).  The
problem with Charter is that (unlike Comcast) there is
apparently no corporate wide policy, and acquired
franchises have tended to keep whatever copy protection
they were bought with.  I guess the only thing to hope
for is that as Charter grows up (getting all those
franchises from ex-TWC areas) they might actually
have to make a decision to be consistent.  Or not.

>  (I think I am, because on the first day of the
> English Premier League season, suddenly and without notice I was able
> to use my TWC subscription to access NBC Sports Extra Time)

Pretty sure that is irrelevant (and simply an artifact of
buying content).  Nothing has changed in the current
business relationship between the companies, and
nothing will until any merger agreement is signed.