[mythtv-users] fire tv stick for 19.99

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 16:47:20 UTC 2014

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 12:03 PM, Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 10:53 AM, Tom Bongiorno <tbjr at bongohut.com> wrote:
>> Or we will get lucky and the cables cos will phase out MPEG2. We can only
>> dream.
>
> It will happen.  Eventually.

Probably worth it to note that the US OTA ATSC
(not ATSC itself, the US standard) requires MPEG-2.
There are some that would like to extend that
(actually, last I recall, skipping H.264 and moving
to H.265), but backward compatibility with existing
TVs in millions of homes that cannot do H.26x,
and a viable transition plan (no one in the US wants
another flag day as occurred with the digital
transition) means it is some ways off.  So MPEG-2
is with US for a meaningful number of households.