[mythtv-users] RNG110 Set-top Box

Tom Bongiorno tbjr at bongohut.com
Thu Oct 30 10:49:29 UTC 2014

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 10:52 PM, Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 1:24 AM, Andrew Gideon <ag918762 at gideon.org>
> wrote:
> > This is news to me.  If I'm understanding what I've just quickly read
> > correctly, cablecard devices now work with Linux?
>
> If the content is marked "copy freely" (which Comcast mostly
> does, except for the "premiums" such as HBO/Showtime/Starz/etc.)
> MythTV is able to record the content using an OCUR tuner.
> Note that the premiums cannot be recorded via firewire anyway.
>
> Common OCUR tuners are manufactured by Ceton, SiliconDust
> and Hauppauge (actually a SiliconDust device under the covers).
>
> Other MSOs (TWC being the largest, but not the only(*)) mark
> most content other than the local and government channels
> as Copy Once, which only certified devices supporting full
> protected path implementations (Microsoft and TiVo)
> can record, resulting in MythTV not being entirely viable.
>
> In Comcastic land, chose an OCUR tuner for MythTV.
>
> Note that the CableCARD rental fees depend on local
> franchise agreements (and any new CableCARD is no
> longer under the "transition" fee period where you could
> have gotten a CableCARD "free" (nothing is free, but...)),
> and will vary; in my case, it costs me $1.50/month (actually,
> less, but I am pretty sure Comcast billing is confused;
> not that I am going to help them increase my monthly
> rates just because their billing systems cannot handle my
> unique equipment portfolio).
>
> Gary
>
> (*) Having a friend in TWC areas that have been confirmed
> to be part of the Comcast acquisition regions I am hoping that
> the merger, if approved, will solve their issues with TWC
> and copy once in the long run.
tuners. I switched from firewire tuning off the STB to a Ceton InfiniTV 4
as soon as the Ceton was compatible. This was years ago. Now you can get a
InfiniTV 6 (6-tuner) for $190 when on sale. If you don't need that many
tuners, there are other options for under $100 when on sale.

I got lucky with my CableCard rental as it is "free". The better word is
probably "included". I also get a $2.50 credit each month for "customer
supplied equipment".

-Tom