[mythtv-users] OT DVD ripping software

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Wed Oct 29 16:04:08 UTC 2014

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 02:54:51AM +1100, Mike Holden wrote:
> jedi wrote:

> >> advantage
> >> is

> >> it

> >> system
> >> would
> >> system,
> >> watch
> >>
> >> In my view, there are too many variables in the layout of a disk
> >> just "rip it automagically".
> >
> >     I have rarely found this to be an issue. Movies generally have a
> > single main title. TV shows have a predictable pattern of titles of
> > a certain size.
> >
> >     Discs with multiple variations (TV or film) are exceptions.
>
> I have seen movie disks with 20 or more (even up to 50+, the record

    That's a specific copy protection measure.

    Some publishers (most notably Disney), like to scramble the table
of contents on a DVD (or even BD) in an attempt to confuse computing
devices.

    It's out there and it's a problem you will probably run into sooner
or later but it's not pervasive.

[deletia]

> >     Looking at the title list, it's pretty easy to figure out what
> > kind of disk you are dealing with and what are the tracks you want.
>
> For a human, yes. For a "simple" bash script, not so much.

    I have a bash script that does this very thing.

> >     Subtitles and captions are just different streams in the
> > container
> > and those with very few exceptions are also very predictiable and
> > easy
> > to extract in an automated fashion.
>
> Yet again, it's those "very few exceptions" that prove the
> difficulty in automating every possibility. My canned script uses

     My media horde is quite large (both TV and film) and I can count the
number of such exceptions on my fingers.

[deletia]
> >     If you're not transcoding the video, you don't even have to
> > worry
> > about any of that stuff because it will all just remain in the VOB
> > or BD stream.
>
> Yes, but then you're stuck with all the adverts and annoying
> trailers and piracy messages, and the inconvenience of waiting for 3

    No you aren't.

    Trying to claim this is just silly.

[deletia]