[mythtv-users] OT DVD ripping software

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Wed Oct 29 15:10:47 UTC 2014

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 08:03:08AM +0000, Simon Hobson wrote:
> Mike Holden <mythtv at mikeholden.org> wrote:
>
> > In my view, there are too many variables in the layout of a disk to
> > just "rip it automagically".
> >
> > For a movie disk, there are often several variations, one including
> > deleted scenes for example, and sometimes different "copies" that
> > enable/disable subtitles, or choose a specific soundtrack. For a
> > drama disk, you want to rip all the titles and get them in the right
> > order and number them correctly.
>
> Or, you just image the disk into a file and get the equivalent of popping a DVD in the drive and letting it play. Of course it does mean you get all the carp, non-skippable insults (you're a pirate bits), and trailers for upcoming releases that have been out for years.

     If you are using a PC player to decode the disk, it doesn't matter
what format it is in. The PC decoder will more likely than not ignore
all of those attempts to force you to watch the stupid unskippable
commercials.

     It's one of those things that makes even the most inconvenient ripping
prodcedure worthwhile.

     Any time I use one of our spinny disk appliances I am appalled and
remember why it is that I started ripping everything. [shudder]