[mythtv-users] OT DVD ripping software

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Oct 27 10:03:45 UTC 2014

Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> NO!  Do not use dd to rip optical disks!  It does not handle the error
> correction necessary for that job.  Use readom ("read optical media"),
> which does it correctly.

I'll take a look ar readom, but I can assure you I've done quite a few DVDs with nothing more than dd and it's worked perfectly every time*. Dunno if the Mac handles error correction at lower level so "dd if=/dev/diskn ..." is error corrected, but I can say that dd hasn't caused me any problems so far.

YMMV

* At least, once I replaced the faulty drive !