[mythtv-users] Storage Group Database Disappearances

David B. LeGendre dblegend at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 08:52:39 UTC 2014

I recently ran into an issue in which a couple of recordings were
physically created but never made it into the "Watch Recordings" portion of
the mythfrontend display.  After ruling out the possibility of a filtering
oversight, I was able to at least determine what happened to create them,
but I have no idea why the behavior is happening.  I am able to reliably
reproduce the issue following these steps:

1. Schedule a recording.
2. Begin watching LiveTV on the same channel as the pending recording from
step 1.
3. Continue watching LiveTV on that channel until after the scheduled
recording begins on a new tuner.

I have found that the second tuner for the recording will be initialized,
everything will work normally and a file will be created via the backend in
the filesystem.  The file, however, never shows up anywhere in the
frontend.  It's as if the database has no idea it ever existed on account
of the fact that it was already being watched via LiveTV.

This problem is taking place on a machine which hosts both the master
backend and frontend concurrently.  I'm running Myth v0.27 on LMDE and
using an ATSC, dual tuner HDHomerun with the latest firmware.  I have a
separate 'LiveTV' folder set up for the LiveTV storage group - all other
recordings are in a 'recordings' folder as part of the Default group.  The
resulting .mpg file is created in both folders (one from the LiveTV tuner
and one from the Scheduled Recording tuner) and can be watched from either
location with mplayer.

I'm assuming the confusion probably stems from something in the way I have
the storage groups / folders configured.  Has anyone else run into this?

-Dave