[mythtv-users] OT DVD ripping software

Kingsley Turner krt at krt.com.au
Sun Oct 26 21:12:00 UTC 2014

On 27/10/14 07:51, Doug Lytle wrote:
> Dean Collins wrote:
>> I figured this would be the list that knows, whats currently the best DVD
>> ripping software (preferably free but will pay for it if I have to).
>
> I use makemkv.
>
> It's free while it's in beta, and the last I checked, $50 to register.  I
> find it useful, so I purchased a license.
>
> Supports, Linux, Mac and Windows.
>
> http://www.makemkv.com/

Amen to that.

I really like MakeMKV, no-nonsense, and handles subtitles well.
Rips DVDs and Blurays.  Years ago I re-encoded my entire DVD collection with
handbrake (~400 DVDS),
but now I'm going back through them ripping a 1:1 MKV image of each movie (I
don't care for extras).

Side note: After 16 years or so, a lot of DVDs just don't work any more.  No
scratches or de-laminations, they just don't work.

I purchased a MakeMKV licence too.
(although I do wish the Linux version got the same love the Win32 & MacOS
versions get)

cheers,
-kt