[mythtv-users] I see major trouble ahead ...

Tim Draper veehexx at zoho.com
Sun Oct 26 19:57:00 UTC 2014

---- On Sun, 26 Oct 2014 15:58:49 +0000 Saul A. Peebsen <jaglover at gmail.com> wrote ----

... with my setup and hardware.
I currently use my desktop as my main frontend, secondary output of my
graphics card is split to a secondary monitor and a TV set.
When I sit at my computer I watch live TV on my secondary monitor, when
I go to bed I turn on the TV and continue watching live TV. I know
everybody tells MythTV is not for watching live TV, but this is how I
use my setup.
This seems to come to an end.
The last version that works for me as FE is 317d5b7. I use Gentoo
ebuilds and upgrade as new ebuilds appear in portage - not very often.
The BE works fine with newer versions, currently e4f65c8.
The frontend does not. For some reason it is unable to handle the
MPEG-2 file my Hauppauge 2250 outputs in analog mode. Playback is jerky
and when one show ends and another one starts my FE exits into start
menu or just hangs. All my frontends behave this way.
I've filed a bug but apparently nobody has time to look into live TV
issues (#12295).
I wonder how long I can keep this older version of FE ... Gentoo is
rolling distro and one day it will probably just break ...

I'm in kinda the same hole too. I spend a reasonable amount of time in mythtv watching liveTV - i'd say about a 40/60 split livetv/recorded. iirc 0.27.0 and .1 worked fine, updated to .2 and .3, and livetv is fairly broken. Seek is randomly erratic when it crosses over ringbuffer (? ...end/start of EPG shows) boundaries, livetv randomly crashes out.

my lack of linux experience (still consider myself relatively new to it), ability to code, and more recently, lack of time to spend hours on diagnostics puts me into the 'just have to live with it and hope someone can eventually fix it' category.

fwiw, I git pull fixes/0.27 for BE (running opensuse 12.3 as a multi-use server), and mythbuntu apt-get for the FE's.