[mythtv-users] HD Transcoder to .mkv?

Peter Bennett (cats22) cats22 at comcast.net
Sun Oct 26 13:16:18 UTC 2014

On 10/25/2014 08:29 PM, Lucas Christian wrote:
>> That is good to hear, but are you talking about recordings, or
>> mythvideo? I've found that the internal player works well for
>> mythvideo, but in the past I've had trouble using the same sorts of
>> files for actual recordings. That could very well have changed as I
>> haven't tested it recently.
>

> I’m talking about both. I go through and edit recordings, then
> transcode then, replacing the old file and leaving the new file as a
> recording in its place.  I can go through and play it from the
> recordings screen with no problem.

I have automated scripts that transcode recordings to h246 mkv and
replace the original recordings in the storage group when my disk usage
exceeds 50%. You need to update the database with a new file name ending
in mkv and run mythcommflag --rebuild. Also I found it necessary to
update the recording duration in the recordedmarkup table. Script is
here
https://code.google.com/p/mythtv-scripts/source/browse/trunk/install/opt/mythtv/bin/import_recording.sh
All of my scripts are there under
https://code.google.com/p/mythtv-scripts/source/browse/trunk but they
are not documented and may be difficult to understand, but they are
working and running in my setup.

Peter