[mythtv-users] multiple selectable audio device configurations

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Sun Oct 26 13:14:04 UTC 2014

On Sun, 2014-10-26 at 20:47 +1100, Alistair Grant wrote:

> I don't have a direct answer, but my workaround is to direct audio to
> both HDMI and the analogue output.

Ahhh.  Interesting.

> I then just switch on the
> headphones and turn down the TV volume when I don't want to make any
> noise.

Indeed.

> Append the following to /etc/pulse/default.pa:

Hrm.  I thought PA was frowned-upon in Myth systems.  It does seem like
extra overhead both in terms of software footprint, but also in adding
latency to the audio.  When it's just audio, who cares, but when it has
to sync to video, latency matters.

I think ALSA can do this kind of output combining on its own can't it?

But ultimately I want full AC3 passthrough on HDMI but only 2-channel
analog (I suppose downmixed if the source is >2 channels) on the
headphones.  I wonder if ALSA is up to that.  :-)  Seems to be lots of
useful information out there on outputting to multiple devices and
downmixing 5.1 to 2.0.  Hopefully I can combine those into what I'm
looking for.

Thanks for the hints!

b.