[mythtv-users] HD Transcoder to .mkv?

Lucas Christian lucas at lucasec.com
Sat Oct 25 15:47:13 UTC 2014

Right, right.  In fact, the internal player handles mp4 and mkv’s just fine. My entire movie library is in mkv typically with a H.264 video and multiple audio streams. I usually create an AAC stream with ProLogic II matrix encoding for less capable devices, and then also retain the original AC3 or DTS audio stream for my home theater setup.  I’ve never had a problem with the internal player handling my content.

As of the moment, my transcode script strips out the commercials before re-encoding the video. I do not run the transcode automatically—I kick it off from MythWeb or the frontend GUI after going through and creating a cutlist from commercial flag data. As of the moment, the frontend CANNOT create cutlists from H.264 streams—it simply displays “No Seektable" because MythTV currently does not generate seektables for H.264 video (they’re not really necessary).