[mythtv-users] New server problems

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Fri Oct 24 16:20:07 UTC 2014

>>> ***
>>> It may not be what I want but the description of the option
>>> --partial_restore clearly states that it is required when setting up MythTV
>>> on new hardware. Is that not so?
>>>

>> Well, it shouldn't.  Long ago, that was the approach that was used.
>> We've since found out that it's completely useless.
>>

> Actually, useless isn't the proper word.  It's beyond useless--it's
> downright dangerous.  It makes it extremely likely for misconfiguration to
> occur (since most users don't necessarily know all the configuration
> options they've set over the years of using MythTV, and those that do may
> not recognize where/how to set them with the changes to the configuration
> system that have occurred since they originally specified them).  And at
> the end--though people once thought there was benefit--there's absolutely
> no benefit to the process other than saving approximately 4-8kB of HDD
> space (not RAM, just space on the hard drive) in the MySQL data files per
> host that was once used and is no longer used.  And, if all that's changing
> is the name of the hosts (and not the number of hosts) in use, then the
> mythconverg_restore.pl --change_hostname option can be used against a
> full restore to make it so no space is saved.
>
> A much better process for new hardware setup is to do a full restore,
> then--if necessary--mythconverg_restore.pl --change_hostname (for all
> hosts whose name you're changing), then go into mythtv-setup and "Delete
> all capture cards" (not "Delete all capture cards on <hostname>") and
> "Delete all video sources", then reconfigure just the TV capture portions.
>
> I'll try to make some time to push a fix that removes the "new hardware"
> stuff from the script documentation.

Dangerous is an awfully strong word. A partial restore is appropriate in
some circumstances, the user just needs to understand when.  If the
objective is to preserve nothing but your existing recordings, rules, and
history... it's a great solution.  Only appropriate in a few situations
though, for example:

a) you want to start over on a new build and clean out years of tweaks you
may have made, knowing that you may have to remake some of them.

b) your entire environment changed such that starting over is easier than
cleaning up the old, for example you bought all new backend & frontend
hardware and are moving from SD to HD sources (something I actually did
once)

c) You are building out a box for a friend/family member and are
pre-loading it with content from your box.