[mythtv-users] intel nuc's

Warpme warpme at o2.pl
Thu Oct 23 07:58:04 UTC 2014

On 22/10/14 22:58, Nick Rout wrote:

> In long-term, Kabini seems to be really promising. I do tests with fan-less
> 9W TDP E2100 (2x1GHz streamroller + HD8310) and subjectively it is faster
> than my ION2 (asus EB1033 with 1,86GHz D2550)
> It is just a shame that intel and amd are the only ones providing the
> really cheap integrated solutions, nvidia is always an addon.

Right. This whole situation is mainly because Intel.
Nvidia is 'inventor' of small PC class as IIRC ION was first really
small factor PC with multimedia playback in mind.
Huge success of ION cause Intel discover potential of this market. At
that time Intel solution (G45 with HD4500 + Atom) was way behind ION in
terms of power and HW decode caps. and Intel was afraid to be outsider
of this segment as only-CPU vendor.

So Intel (in classical huge corporate way) decided block competitor by
rising barrier entry instead of competitively entering this market
(first by not slowing it down and in parallel developing competitive
product). Intel move was clearly against market and was purely to
slowdown market to give them time to prepare for it. They done this by
blocking DMI licensing to Nvidia for their newer CPUS. In result ION2
had gfx connected to CPU/NorthBridge by PCIe lines. Thats why ION2 is
subjectivelly so slower than i.e. ION1. This caused serious problems for
IGP chipset business (much lower demand so problems with covering spent
R&D costs, etc) within Nvidia that soon Nvidia was forced to close its
IGP business. Intel successfully managed for this and consumers should
be really sad by this!

I took 3-4y for Intel to create things like NUC and still - for MythTV -
Nvidia is unmatched. Go figure how this market can look-like in
alternative world - where Intel plays OK (I mean healthy cooperate with
Nvidia instead of few years of slowing-down micro-PC segment). I'm
really sad by Intel moves and not happy with their monopolistic position
where things like NUC are clearly 2x overpriced (as Intel clearly gets
dividend from highest computing_power/cubic_space ratio).

Fortunately AMD now gets really good - and voila - all we see NUC prices
falling quickly :-)
By past Intel moves I hope customers will pay-back to Intel and avoid
this vendor as much as possible....

br