[mythtv-users] Input Groups - 3 encoders and 2 satellite receivers

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Wed Oct 22 17:13:33 UTC 2014

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 9:49 AM, <scott at tbwifi.ca> wrote:

> Maybe I can clarify things a little.  My Satellite system, Telus (which is
> just rebranded Bell Expressvu), uses the same technology as the Dish
> Network in the USA.  I have two satellite receivers connected to my Mythtv
> system and each one can only output a signal from one channel selection at
> a time.  So my Mythbox can receive two different video feeds maximum at
> any one time.  These satellite boxes are capable of outputting all
> channels out of composite SD or HDMI and will supply resolution depending
> on the source and the output connection.  So the PVR 350s can record HD
> channel content but only at standard 480i.  Of course the HD PVR can
> record any of the channels as well, some being 480i only and some at 720p.
>  My HD PVR just happens to be connected to the HDMI port of the same box
> where one of my PVR 350s is connected to SD composite video out.
>
> Originally I was moving towards replacement of my old PVR 350's with two
> HD PVR's but I've now learned that the 720p mpeg files produced by the HD
> PVR's are too much for my ATV2 frontends without extensive transcoding.
> So the purchase of a second HD PVR is shelved for the time being...
>
> My latest plan is to only record movies in HD, transcode them, and to
> later store and watch them outside of Mythtv.  To do this I think the best
> may be to only select the HD channels which may have HD movies that I'd be
> looking to record and list this as a much reduced set of channels.
>
> Video Source 1 - HD movie channels only
> Video Source 2 - All available channels minus those listed in Video Source
> 1
> Video Source 2 - all available channels
>
> Satellite Box #1
> HD PVR - uses video source 1
> PVR 350 #1 - uses video source 2
>
> Satellite Box #2
> PVR 350 #2 - uses video source 3
>
> I believe this format will work although if the input groups feature was
> working properly it shouldn’t need to be this messy.

The setup of your video sources has nothing to do with input groups. Input
groups just mean that two (or more) different inputs are connected to the
same box or antenna or whatever, which means that only one of the inputs in
the group can be used at a time. This is exactly your situation. The fact
that you only want to record certain channels with different inputs is what
complicates the "video sources" part. You could probably do it with only 2
video sources and just have both of the PVR 350's be able to record all
channels, and then do some tricks with priorities to get the HD movie
channels to record on the HD PVR, or just explicitly select it as the
"Preferred input" when scheduling a movie to record. That requires a little
more work when you're setting up to record. However, Schedules Direct does
not support having multiple (modifiable) copies of the same lineup (from
the same zip code/area) so you may be forced to do it with fewer video
sources. There may be alternate ways to manage it, though (multiple video
sources mapped to the same Schedules Direct lineup--if that's
supported--and then mark the excluded channels as not visible).

Karl