[mythtv-users] mythtv dropping mysql???

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Oct 22 16:46:50 UTC 2014

On 10/22/2014 11:09 AM, jedi wrote:
>      As far as the "appliance" thing goes, one of my own examples of "db tinkering"
> is a script that clones settings from one machine to another. This simplifies the
> task of setting up a new frontend considerably. All of the media storage definitions
> get cloned as well as a basic set of UI related settings. Since I use roughly
> standardized hardware for the frontends (ION), I also clone the decoder profiles.

This is not an example of something that requires direct DB access using
non-MythTV tools.  This is an example of something that MythTV should
allow all users to do easily from within the UI.  This is an example of
something that hasn't been done because it's easy enough for devs or
power users *** to do without creating a proper UI.  This is an example
of a feature MythTV is lacking *because* the
mysql-direct-database-access tools are a crutch we've been leaning on.

Mike

*** or even random people who see posts on list and who don't
necessarily know enough to know they should be worried about what's
actually happening, let alone whether it's the proper way of doing
things, whether it will work properly, and whether it will cause
problems now or in the future.