[mythtv-users] mythtv netflix hack

Erik Hjertén erik at hjerten.com
Tue Oct 21 17:34:00 UTC 2014

2014-10-17 03:18, Evuraan skrev:
>> Please report back if you succeed playing Netflix in Chrome using vdpau. My
>> Asus AT5IONT-I max out on HD material in Netflix. Works fine in Myth. I've
>> tried enabling hw acceleration in Chrome by enabling "Override software
>> rendering list". This doesn't seem to help.
> ditto. after I enabled hw acceleration, lsof of /dev/nvidi* shows
> chrome is using those - other than that, I don't see any effect on cpu
> load etc. (if anything, it freezes for a few seconds randomly!)
>
> Oh another thing, when roku plays,  it pulls in about 800 - 900
> kbytes/second, when chrome does it, it is usually 300 kbytes/second -
> I can't say (from visual feedback) whether the video quality sucks on
> chrome, but probably is sub-par considering the stream size is 1/3rd
> of what roku pulls.
I can see a huge difference (amount of fish rendered smoothly) on a page
like http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/Performance/FishBowl/ with hw
acceleration enabled in Chrome. But on
http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/HTML5/eme/ I don't see any change in
CPU usage.

I get an error like:
[11245:11245:1021/172326:ERROR:gpu_video_decode_accelerator.cc(301)] Not
implemented reached in void
content::GpuVideoDecodeAccelerator::Initialize(const
media::VideoCodecProfile, IPC::Message *)HW video decode acceleration
not available.
from Chrome on both web pages and when accessing Netflix videos as well.

I'm testing this on a Quadro FX 880M with driver
331.79-0Ubuntu1~xedgers13.10.1