[mythtv-users] Time to move to an HDMI stick for FEs?

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Tue Oct 21 15:11:28 UTC 2014

>> So yes, for some of them it is probably possible to port the frontend.
>> But it's going to take someone with the skills, knowledge, time, and most
>> importantly desire to do it.
>> > Your standard response doesn't really work here
>>
>> Nope, still applies.  Please get back to us with your
>> review of whether it actually works in practice, rather
>> than pontificating about how "someone else" should
>> look into it, and in theory it might work well.
>>
>> And, since it will be necessary for the review, please
>> provide the test harness you will be using so that
>> all future platforms can use the same eval.  That
>> will allow everyone else to compare platforms.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

> Well, it was a combination of "what-if" and "Here's a cool device" rather
> than a blanket "Hooray a cheap FE!". But if it's a standard x86 Atom with
> VAAPI support, and that's something that has been used with MythTV on more
> traditional form-factor PCs, I'm willing to sacrifice a few dollars in the
> name of testing. Are we at least in agreement that that particular SOC
> combination (Atom Z3735F/G) with 2GB of RAM and a 16GB SD card is a
> supported platform for a Linux FE to play back 1080p video?

 Define 'supported'.

Looking at the raw stats, it should be fine.  In reality however, any
number of things could prevent it from working.  Driver support is the most
obvious, however the hardware itself, beyond the CPU/GPU may simply not
work be up to it.

That said, I am anxiously waiting for your testing results!