[mythtv-users] Time to move to an HDMI stick for FEs?

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 14:46:10 UTC 2014

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 10:04 PM, Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 7:19 PM, Patrick Ouellette <pat at flying-gecko.net>
> wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 07:48:11PM +0100, Simon Hobson wrote:
> >> So yes, for some of them it is probably possible to port the frontend.
> But it's going to take someone with the skills, knowledge, time, and most
> importantly desire to do it.
> > Your standard response doesn't really work here
>
> Nope, still applies.  Please get back to us with your
> review of whether it actually works in practice, rather
> than pontificating about how "someone else" should
> look into it, and in theory it might work well.
>
> And, since it will be necessary for the review, please
> provide the test harness you will be using so that
> all future platforms can use the same eval.  That
> will allow everyone else to compare platforms.
>
> Thanks!

Well, it was a combination of "what-if" and "Here's a cool device" rather
than a blanket "Hooray a cheap FE!". But if it's a standard x86 Atom with
VAAPI support, and that's something that has been used with MythTV on more
traditional form-factor PCs, I'm willing to sacrifice a few dollars in the
name of testing. Are we at least in agreement that that particular SOC
combination (Atom Z3735F/G) with 2GB of RAM and a 16GB SD card is a
supported platform for a Linux FE to play back 1080p video?

Thanks,
Matt