[mythtv-users] mythtv dropping mysql???

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 03:59:35 UTC 2014

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 8:37 PM, Anthony Giggins
<seven at seven.dorksville.net> wrote:

> Personally, what I'd like to see is perhaps have the embeded database
> enabled by default (For the Masses) with the option to point the data
> service to a non-embeded mysql server if your comfortable with
> administratoring this.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Anthony

I agree.  I was actually going to ask about the feasibility of that.
If this is in any way possible, this would be the ideal solution...to
allow essentially a "power user" configuration that uses an external
database.

I'd assume that all the underlying SQL would be the same regardless of
which was in use(??).  Beyond that I don't know what other
difficulties there might be in supporting that.  Though it wouldn't
work out for many, even something that required a compile time option
would work for me and other Gentoo users (or for anyone compiling from
source)...though again, that wouldn't work out for anyone using binary
versions of course.

Even as someone who really doesn't want the embedded database at all,
I do in fact understand the arguments for it, especially for most
first time users.  If the choice were possible it'd be the best of
both worlds.

Tom